Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My sister is a Mrs.!

This past weekend, on June 13, Alicia and Justin tied the knot in a beautiful ceremony at Topsail Island, NC. Everything went extremely well and it was really a wonderful weekend.

We started everything off Friday night with the rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner. It was seriously the most laid back rehearsal I have ever seen. It was kind of "you will go, then you will go, then you will go, then the kids, then me, then we'll say some stuff, then we'll do rings, then we'll walk out and you all will walk out, and then we're done." Nice. Then we ate a yummy shrimp dinner and drank some beer and talked a lot. Also, Justin's dad put together a really sweet video of Alicia and Justin which included childhood photos as well as many as a couple. It was great. The couple gave out gifts to the wedding party and that started my first tears of the weekend. Colin (he was the ring bearer) received an awesome Lego car picked out by Justin and upon opening it exclaimed, "WHOA!" We have built, broken, and rebuilt that car a few times. Great gift!

That night after the dinner, we converged on Tiffany's (our hotel) and took over the lanai (fancy word for balcony with chairs and tables). Aunts, Uncles, cousins, my brother, my mom, and lots of alcohol. My mother took a shot of Patron!! Craziness. But as always, very loud and lots of fun!!! We have a wonderful family and always have a great time when we are together.

Saturday morning started with breakfast (and a rough start for some) at a little restaurant on the other end of the island and then Roger, Grandma, and Grandad took the boys to the beach for a few hours since the wedding wasn't until 6 pm and I had to go get hair done with Alicia. The kids had a blast, but I am not sure if we got any pictures or not. I was sad to miss it, but as most of you know I hate the beach so I guess I was kind of relieved to be getting primped instead! We all got ready and then it was time! Alicia looked absolutely gorgeous and everything went off without a hitch. The weather held out and the hairspray held. My brother, Bradley, did the ceremony (he was ordained last summer) and it was beautiful. He added some humor, but his words were very meaningful and heartwarming. They did their vows, swapped some rings, and then kissed. Beautiful. Not too many tears, but some choking up (we are an emotional bunch). OH, and Colin made the most handsome ring bearer in the world and walked up the aisle holding Addison's (Justin's god-daughter) hand. He made me so proud!

After the ceremony was the reception and as always, lots of fun. Colin still loves to dance and didn't fail us in that regard! He had his first "couples" dance with a little girl named Logan, and even stole a kiss! It was so cute but so shocking! Apparently, Logan gets around. Her mom wasn't surprised in the slightest, and was convinced that she made the first move! Colin followed up the smooch with "Do you have any cool toys at your house?" Ha ha ha!! Priorities, huh? I gave the speech that I had spent months preparing. It was time for the tears! Thank the Lord I had written it down. But I was able to get it out and apparently I made my family members cry (Alicia, too, SCORE) so I was glad. Colin did not like seeing me cry and walked up to me on the "stage" and said "Mommy, why are you crying?" He was on the verge of tears himself and later when I was holding him, he wiped my tears for me. It was too sweet!! Unfortunately, this was around 11 pm and the kids had about had it! As soon as the speeches were done, I gave hugs and took the kids back to the ho-tail (as Colin called it) for bed. We then converged on the lanai (as people started trickling in from the party) for another night of loud conversation and beer. Great times.

So, Alicia is now a Vanderspiegel. It's so awesome and I am so happy for the newly married couple!! Pictures to come!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see pictures. It sounds amazing. Congrats to Alicia!

    ReplyDelete